riv talks about past, present, and future obsessions with a bajillion types of crafts.

Monday, March 3, 2008

Status

Stuff I've been working on in the last month or two:



My crush on polymer clay seems to have been much shorter-lived than I'd expected, and my crush on wire-wrapping/linking/gluing watch parts has lasted longer than expected (which is good, because I'm not nearly close to using up all the parts I've gotten from ebay).

One thing that can stop a crush on a medium for me is finishing a particular type of ambitious project. I always feel like my next piece should be better than the one before it. So if I make something that is really amazing, but also takes a lot of work or special materials that I don't have any more of, I go through a period of trying to top it and failing, which can be demoralizing. For a while, it looked like Fringes might have had that effect on watch part jewelry for me. But I spent a few days away from it, not thinking too much about watch parts, and then came back and worked on some simple pieces. Then I worked on Orbits and Strange Device. I'm quite happy with both of them, and now instead of feeling like I have to clear some impossibly high hurdle to match the awesomeness of a single fluke, I feel like I'm getting better at what I'm doing. Yay.

Crush on the horizon: Gibbous Fashions and other reconstructed/elaborate sewing. I'll be going to a party in early May that some people traditionally make elaborate, alternative-looking costumes for, and I think something in this vein would be perfect. But with more draped bits and tassels and all the yummy elements I love in skirts, combined into one! I went to Dollar-A-Pound yesterday and gathered a bunch of white and wine-red fabric, and I'm starting to form A Plan in my head. I'm hoping to get started this weekend! If so, I'll post pictures of my progress :)

No comments: