riv talks about past, present, and future obsessions with a bajillion types of crafts.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Spinning yarn!

I tried to learn how to spin yarn a few years ago and didn't do very well. Sometime last week, I stopped by Mind's Eye Yarns and asked for some basic wool to learn to spin with--and I managed to make something that mostly looked like yarn! No pictures yet, as I still want to dye it. But then I took out some of the roving that I'd bought the first time I tried spinning:

img_2059.jpg

Oh my goodness, it looks a lot like real yarn! I'm going to get some more roving and ply together different combinations of singles--I find this particular combination a little too much like all the yarn I already own :) But yay, spinning is neat!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome! I've got my mom's old drop spindle, but have never gotten very far in trying to learn to use it.

Anisa said...

That yarn is super pretty!!