riv talks about past, present, and future obsessions with a bajillion types of crafts.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Gearing up for open studios! And a craft fair!

OK, so Joy Street Open Studios are this weekend! I'm in studio #19.

In anticipation of this, I've tried to make a bunch of cool stuff to show off.

Finished in studio last week2009-11-06 23.41.03.jpg
2009-11-08 21.18.12.jpgLittle gear moons
This evening's earrings

I had business cards printed, and they showed up yesterday. I'm really happy with how they turned out:
Business cards!

I did the design myself using Inkscape, with help from some vector art found at Open Clipart. Hooray for open-source software and resources! I used a vertical format so that I could also punch holes in the cards and display earrings on them.

In two weeks, I'll be vending at the Washington Street Art Center craft fair. In addition to my stuff, I'll have a basket of yarn and roving made by my housemate, aka theyellowhobbit.etsy.com. I designed a business card for her last night, and I'm pretty happy with how it came out, especially since I made the image of the drop spindle from scratch:


And speaking of yarn, I've started knitting this amazing shawl (using this English translation of the pattern). I'm about 30 rows in. At first I thought it would be way too difficult, but it's actually fairly easy now that I've worked out how to read the pattern :) I'll post pictures when I'm a little father along. I've also started a spinning project, but it's on semi-hiatus while I try to make the shawl before the winter starts getting cold in earnest.

No comments: